Betsy Owens & Terry Laughlin Memorial Cable Swims
1-mile & 2-mile Cable Swims
Saturday, August 10th, 2019
Sanctioned by Adirondack LMSC for USMS, Inc.
Sanction # 039-W001
- Terry’s 2-mile cable swim starts at 9:30 am; swimmers must check in by 9:00 am; mandatory pre-race meeting at 9:15 am
- Betsy Owens 1-mile cable swim starts at 11:15 am; swimmers must check in by 10:45 am; mandatory pre-race meeting at 11:00 am
The course is a ¼ mile-long underwater cable marked with buoys. The 1-mile swim is two laps around the cable, while the 2-mile swim is four laps around the cable. Both events will be contested in the same direction, which will be decided by a coin toss during Friday afternoon course set-up. Both the start and finish are in-water. Times for both events are eligible for USMS long-distance national records.
Each swimmer’s age shall be determined by their age on December 31, 2019, except for 18-year-olds, who must be 18 on the day they swim.
All swimmers must be registered with USMS (or the equivalent FINA organization for foreign swimmers). Swimmers can purchase a 2019 USMS membership at usms.org ($45 + LMSC fee) or a One Event Registration ($27) during online registration.
Current USMS rules will govern this event.
Category II suits—including wetsuits—are allowed, but swimmers wearing anything other than Category I suits will not be eligible for individual national records.
A digital copy of the rule book can be viewed and/or downloaded at: https://www.usms.org/volunteer-central/us-masters-swimming-rule-book
Please read the brief overview of each category below. Refer to section 303.4 of the 2019 USMS rulebook for more details.
Category I Suits overview:
- Goggles, nose clips, ear plugs, & wristwatches are permitted
- Swimsuit must be only one or two pieces & shall not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, or below the ankles
- Absolutely no clasps or zippers are permitted
- Non-wetsuit category
Category II Suits overview:
- Wetsuits category
- Goggles, armbands, rash guards, nose clips, ear plugs, wristwatches, and grease are also allowed
Standard USMS 5-year age groups; 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39…100+
Entry fee is $55/$60/$65 for one event or $80/$85/$90 for both, with price increases on June 3rd and July 29th. Entry fee includes swim cap & post-race refreshments. Non-USMS members add $27 for One-event registration.
There are absolutely no refunds or deferrals for this event. In the case of inclement weather or other unexpected circumstances, the race director has the right to cancel the race or shorten the event. In this case there will be no refunds provided. In signing up for this event, the participants are agreeing to these terms.
Registration closes Monday, August 5th at 11:59 PM EDT.
LATE AND RACE DAY ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Safety is Our Primary Concern
Safety boats will monitor the entire course and Lake Placid Ambulance Service will be on-call within one mile of the event. Swimmers must wear the swim caps provided, have their race number on their arms/back, and follow all announced safety rules without exception.
Swimmers who cannot complete one mile in 50 minutes or two miles in 1:45 should NOT enter. Swimmers on the course after these time limits may be stopped and listed as DNF in the results.
Swimmers will be seeded fastest to slowest, using each swimmer’s time for a 1650 yd. pool swim. “No Time” & wetsuit (Category II) entries will be seeded last. Races will be seeded before race day, so you must declare if you plan to wear a wetsuit on your entry. There will be no seeding changes once heat sheets are posted.
For both swims, each heat will consist of seeded waves of swimmers each starting 20-30 seconds apart.
Lake Placid Visitors Bureau, 518-523-2445; Saranac Lake Chamber of Commerce, 518-891-1990.
- From South: Northway (1-87) to Exit 30. Follow signs to Lake Placid.
- From North: Northway (1-87) to Exit 34 for Ausable Forks. Take N (south) to Rt 86 (west) in Jay, through Wilmington into Lake Placid.
- From West: Take routes to Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake to Route 86 into Lake Placid. Mirror Lake’s Village Beach is located near center of Lake Placid on Parkside Dr. between Main St. & Shore Dr. Street parking is available near the venue on day of event.
For More information, contact:
Matt McMorris, Event Director | firstname.lastname@example.org | 518-727-1586
Anna Payne, Office Manager | email@example.com | 518-677-2768